Texas Association of Counties, a non-profit corporation in existence 50 years, is conducting a search for a professional, full-time Staff Accountant to join our Finance Service Department. Our mission is to provide services to Texas counties and unite counties to achieve better solutions. We also provide finance and accounting services for three related self-insurance risk pools. We offer an awesome work environment with excellent benefits.
A Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance is required. We are seeking a self-starter with a minimum of two years experience in general accounting.
- Maintains accounts payable reports, spreadsheets and corporate accounts payable supporting files. Includes assurance of proper coding, entry into AP system & processing of checks.
- Processes claim payments on a timely basis.
- Reconciles general ledger accounts as assigned.
- Prepares journal entries on a monthly basis, such as prepaid expenses, intercompany transactions and others.
- Assists in preparing monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Performs year-end activities, including 1099 preparation (including interim efforts to assure vendor data and systems are updated throughout the year).
- Assists with budgets, as needed.
- Prepares 1099 tax forms including miscellaneous related reports.
- Assists management during periodic audits.
- Serves as backup for other Finance department functions, as needed.
- Works with IT on systems issues to improve accuracy and completeness.
- Ability to learn and use MS Dynamic GP general ledger system.
- Present a professional and helpful attitude with strong interpersonal skills.
- Meet expectations of attendance and punctuality.
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Skills described in job description.
- At least intermediate level knowledge of Excel and proficient use of Word and Outlook and ability to learn accounting principles, payment processing, and operating systems.
- Ability work at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to prioritize work and meet service standards and deadlines.
- Ability to learn new tasks and perform them in an efficient manner.
- Ability to follow instructions and adhere to prescribed routines and practices.
- Maintain work performance at satisfactory or standard level.
- Professionalism in customer service situations.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to self-check work to find and fix errors.
- Ability to comply with department and company policies and procedures.
Risk pools or insurance accounting and knowledge of insurance terms.
Non-profit accounting and FASB
Governmental accounting and GASB.
Please attach a resume and your professionally written cover letter (required), which will give insight about your communication style.
Local metro area candidates only.
Only candidates meeting the above stated criteria will be contacted.
Location: Downtown - Austin, TX
Compensation: $56 - $62k, commensurate with experience
Excellent benefits and free covered parking provided.
Visit our website at www.county.org.
Please send cover letter, salary requirement and resume to HR@county.org. No phone calls, please.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.