Texas Association of Counties (TAC) Risk Management Services (RMS) department is seeking a highly qualified and experienced team member for its Claims Litigation Examiner position. Primarily responsible for management of the Texas Association of Counties Risk Management Pool’s (TAC RMP) Public Officials and Law Enforcement Liability coverage claims, including communication with TAC Risk Management Services (RMS) staff, TAC RMP members, outside counsel, and reinsurers. Responsible for working with TAC RMP members and outside counsel to develop defense strategies and settlement offers. Responsible for supervising outside counsel. Required to attend claims-related events, such as meetings with TAC RMP members, mediations, significant depositions and trials.
The Claims Litigation Examiner will be expected to:
- Manage claims for the TAC RMP’s Public Officials and Law Enforcement Liability coverage, including: evaluating coverage and liability issues; establishing appropriate reserves; recommending defense counsel; communicating with Pool members and defense counsel; documentation; developing defense strategies; and negotiating settlement recommendations; .
- Responsible for supervision of defense counsel, including performance evaluation and billing review and approval.
- Perform regular claims evaluations, including coordination of settlement opportunities within authorized authority and in compliance with claims standards and procedures.
- Based on coverage evaluation, timely draft coverage assignment, reservation of rights, and denial letters for distribution to TAC RMP members.
- Travel as necessary to meet with TAC RMP members or attend claim-related event, such as a deposition, mediation, hearing, conference, or trial.
- Monitor ongoing claims and timely report to the TAC RMP’s reinsurers, claims supervisor and RMS managers as required.
- Responsible for file management in the RMS’s claims system, including timely and accurate input of claim-related information, document scanning, and reporting
- Attend, present training and education courses, and represent TAC and TAC RMP at TAC-sponsored and TAC-affiliated member organization conferences.
- Work with division staff to ensure that claims payments are promptly processed and issued.
- Provide customer service for TAC and TAC RMP members, county officials and staff, and the general public.
- Participate in RMS team meetings to provide assistance to coworkers and TAC RMP members.
Experience / Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Risk Management or a related field required. Law degree from an accredited institution and a license to practice law in the State of Texas a plus.
- Texas Department of Insurance all lines adjuster’s license required for non-lawyer.
- 10 years of experience working as an adjuster or counselor in a governmental position, or an insurance provider, or a third-party claims administrator required.
- Risk pooling experience preferred.
- Comprehensive experience, working as an adjuster, with the legal liability litigation process, including mediations, court and legal proceedings, and errors and omission (E&O) and directors’ and officers’ (D&O) coverage required.
- Required to have and maintain current understanding of state and federal court proceedings, county governance, and the law related to insurance coverage, employment, civil rights and tort claims.
- Associate in Claims (AIC) or Senior Claims Law Associate (SCLA) designation preferred.
Other Skills & Abilities
- Position requires excellent communications skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to relate to persons from varying economic, educational, and cultural backgrounds.
- Position requires a high degree of professionalism in representing TAC and TAC RMP in significant contacts with elected officials, members, and others.
- Position requires proficiency in the use of personal computer and Microsoft Office products including, but not limited to: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint.
- Excellent time management and record keeping required.
- Valid Texas driver’s license and a good driving record required; must be able to drive.
Position is based in Austin at TAC headquarters and requires moderate travel.
Please send cover letter, salary requirement and resume. No phone calls, please.