This photo taken by TAC County Resource Officer Kim Joyce shows the original Newton County courthouse had a faux clock in the tower. In 1929, a real four-faced clock was installed by local benefactors in honor of Dr. J.S. Peavy and wife, Maryann Fuller.
A catastrophic fire attributed to faulty wiring in the attic near the bell tower erupted on the evening of August 4, 2000. The fire spread quickly throughout the building causing the bell tower to collapse through the center of the structure. Much of the interior was destroyed with many county records and documents damaged. But the clock tower was recovered and now serves as a memorial.
The courthouse was originally built in 1903 and completely renovated after the fire in 2012.