Commissioners Court Accepting Private Donations


May a commissioners court accept private donations for road maintenance and repair?

Yes. Counties are statutorily authorized to accept donations for the purpose of road maintenance and repairs. Tex. Transp. Code §252.109 and §252.214 states that counties operating under the road commissioner or superintendent systems may accept donations of labor, money, or other property to aid in building or maintaining county roads. For other road systems, Local Government Code §81.032 provides that the commissioners court may accept a donation of labor or services, gift, grant, donation, bequest, or devise of money or other property on behalf of the county for the purpose of performing a function conferred by law on the county or a county officer.