Skip to Content (custom)
Texas Association of Counties
Toggle Navigation (custom)

    Legal Services

    LegalEase Newsletter | FAQs by Subject

    News Article | July 20, 2022

    County Finances

    Legal Guidance

    "It's been brought to my attention that a veteran and long-time resident of the county has just passed away without leaving behind enough funds for funeral expenses. Can the commissioners court help with these expenses?"

    May the county assist with the costs of burial for an honorably discharged veteran?

    A veteran who dies without leaving sufficient means to pay funeral expenses may be buried by the county under the same circumstances as any other deceased pauper. There does not appear to be any authority in Health & Safety Code §713.029 or elsewhere, for the commissioners court to provide additional services based on a deceased person’s status as an honorably discharged veteran. For more information, see our publication Cemeteries and Pauper Burial.