Skip to Content (custom)
Texas Association of Counties
Toggle Navigation (custom)

    Legal Services

    LegalEase Newsletter | FAQs by Subject

    News Article | July 20, 2022

    County Officials

    Legal Guidance

    "We want to go through a local vendor for a new project the county is undertaking. It's a small project, so we want to go through a local vendor. Since we're small, rural county, there's only one option: my brother's buisness. I know I need to complete a disclosure statement, but when do I have to turn it in?"

    Where and when does a member of a commissioners court or a purchasing agent file a conflicts disclosure statement in a county?

    Per Local Government Code §176.003(b), conflicts of disclosure statement must be filed with the county clerk no later than 5 p.m. on the seventh business day after the vendor enters into a contract with the county or the county is considering entering into a contract with a vendor from whom the member of the commissioners court or a purchasing agent has received taxable income or a gift. For more information, see our publication Short Answers to Common Questions: Disclosure Requirements for County Officials.