Skip to Content (custom)
Texas Association of Counties
Toggle Navigation (custom)

    Legal Services

    LegalEase Newsletter | FAQs by Subject

    News Article | July 20, 2022

    Salary Grievance

    Legal Guidance

    "I am a newly elected official, and I want to save the county money. As part of my salary the county provides me with a car allowance, which I don't need. Can I refuse to take it or donate the money back to the county?"

    How does a county official refuse part of their salary?

    Local Government Code §152.052(b) states that an elected county official may reduce the amount of compensation set for their office by filing an affidavit with the county payroll officer. This can be done at any time. The affidavit must state that the officer elects to reduce the amount of compensation paid for the officer’s service to a specified amount. The reduction in salary is effective on the date the affidavit is filed.

    Additionally, the county may accept from an elected county official a gift or donation of all or part of the salary paid by the county to the officer. The county treasurer shall place the gift or donation in the general fund. (Local Government Code §152.002)