Skip to Content (custom)
Texas Association of Counties
Toggle Navigation (custom)

    Legal Services

    LegalEase Newsletter | FAQs by Subject

    News Article | July 20, 2022

    Salary Grievance

    Legal Guidance

    "The proposed budget was just posted, and the county judge is giving himself a big raise while other elected officials are getting nothing."

    Do elected officials have any recourse if they are unhappy with their proposed salary?

    Yes. Sections 152.013-.0165 of the Local Government Code create a salary grievance process for most elected county and precinct officials to challenge their salaries, expenses, and allowances as set out in the proposed budget. Unless excepted from the process per Section 152.017, an elected official may request a hearing before the salary grievance committee before the budget's final approval. Local Government Code §152.016. For more information, see our publication Salary Grievance Committee and this handout about how to initiate a salary grievance.