Skip to Content (custom)
Texas Association of Counties
Toggle Navigation (custom)

    Legal Services

    LegalEase Newsletter | FAQs by Subject

    News Article | July 20, 2022

    Commissioners Court

    Legal Guidance

    "There's some kind of 'adult campout' planned to take place on private rural property in the county. The residents across the street are not too happy, and keep calling us to do something about it. Is there anything that can be done?"

    What regulatory authority does the county have related to particular types of gathering?‚Äč

    If it's expected that more than 2,500 people will attend (or more than 500 in certain circumstances), the campout would be considered a "mass gathering" and regulated by Chapter 751 of the Health and Safety Code. There may be other laws that impact the county's regulatory authority. For example, if the campout meets the definition of a "sexually oriented business" in Chapter 243 of the Local Government Code, the county may restrict the location of the business, and a permit may be required. For more information, see our publications Mass Gatherings and Outdoor Music Festivals and Regulation of Sexually Oriented Businesses.