Skip to Content (custom)
Texas Association of Counties
Toggle Navigation (custom)

    Legal Services

    LegalEase Newsletter | FAQs by Subject

    News Article | July 20, 2022

    County Officials

    Legal Guidance

    "Just because I was indicted, someone filed a removal action against me. Then the court suspended me and hired a temporary replacement. I won the removal action and I want back pay for the time I was suspended!"

    Is the county required to pay an official who was suspended during an unsuccessful removal action for the time someone else was appointed to the office?‚Äč

    Yes! Local Government Code §87.16(b) requires the county to pay the official an amount equal to the compensation received by the temporary appointee. The funds come out of the general fund. See also Tex. Att’y Gen. Op. No H-227 (1974).