Publications | August 21, 2023
Gov. Greg Abbot has named broadband expansion an emergency item for the 87th Texas Legislature. A top priority for counties, broadband expansion has long been an important issue, but it is even more critical as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve.
County government officials and staff are often the first tasked with navigating and meeting resident need associated with the state’s lack of broadband connectivity.
The lack of connectivity in rural Texas creates barriers for accessing telepsychiatry and telemedicine, as well as online learning for rural students. These same challenges have appeared in economically disadvantaged urban communities.
- FCC Broadband Benefit Program
- Governor Abbott Includes Broadband Expansion as an Emergency Item (Feb. 2021)
- Broadband Development Council Report Released (Nov. 2020)
- NACO Broadband Task Force
- Texas Broadband Development Office
For more information contact: